Here’s a quick tip: You can receive text messages when your instructor cancels a class.
In my last post I mentioned Rave Mobile Safety, our emergency alert system for texting and email. Through this same service we are also providing class cancellation notification to all Kirtland students. You may have already noticed that you are getting cancellation messages in your Sparkymail. Like the emergency notifications within Rave, students are automatically enrolled in getting these notices by email and you have to opt into receiving text messages. The procedure for enrolling in text messaging for class cancellations is a little different than enrolling in emergency notifications. Here is how you do it:
- Open up a web browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, etc.) and type in http://rave.kirtland.edu.
- Log in with the password that was provided to you from the email letter that was sent to your Sparkymail. If you have changed your password, use that one.
- Make sure that you have your mobile phone registered to receive text messages. You should see a phone number in the “Mobile Phones” box if you have already enrolled. Directions on how register are here.
- Click the “Groups” tab.
- Check the box that is in the “Text” column next to the instructor you want to get text cancellations from. I would suggest checking all of them.
- Click the “Update” button.
Another thing to remember is that if you don’t have an unlimited texting plan through your cell phone provider, you will be charged extra for your text message. Kirtland is not responsible for any extra charges from text notifications.
Feel free to contact me at email@example.com with questions.